Monday, April 7, 2014

Lessons Learned Through Volunteering

This week, the Points of Light organization leads National Volunteer Week, which focuses on “inspiring, recognizing and encouraging people to seek out imaginative ways to engage in their communities.”

Having managed many volunteers, and been one myself for various organizations over the years, I happily celebrate this week and to share some of the lessons I learned only through being a volunteer.

First of all, I am happy to celebrate the selflessness of being a volunteer, and the opportunity to make a positive impact on the lives of others. Volunteers are the heart of any organization, and often bear sole responsibility for the administration and management of the programs and/or services offered.

For instance, the most of the local Pop Warner Football organizations are lead and operated by volunteers; no one gets paid to schedule the games, train the players or operate the concession stands. And yet, these volunteers have a tremendous impact on the players and cheerleaders they serve by teaching leadership, teamwork, and sportsmanship. Some of the coaches and leaders in the organization in my local area haven’t had children in the program for years now; they just enjoy giving back and making a difference.

Over the years I have also learned that we all volunteer in one way or another; even in business. Besides helping others, volunteering – even to serve on an employee committee – provides the opportunity to learn new skills, see things from a different perspective and to recognize what is truly important to us personally.

As a volunteer leader and then staffer managing volunteers, I learned that it truly is the little things that make the biggest difference. For example, having a compassionate, patient volunteer who understand the issues of those calling into an organization’s Help Line is priceless to that caller. Many times, callers just need someone who understands what they are going through to listen. Sometimes, it’s the tremendous power of a smiling face and a compassionate greeter at a safe haven for someone coming from a horrible situation. Again, it’s the little things that make a tremendous difference.  

The most surprising lesson I learned through volunteering is that helping others provides a sense of control, often times when I cannot control anything else in my life. The best example of this was borne out in my volunteer service with RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association, when my husband and I were struggling with infertility. Although I later joined the staff, it was my experience as a volunteer that provided me with the ability to control how much time and effort I spent on serving others travelling my same journey.

Dawn and RESOLVE volunteers (bottom row, l to r)
Anne Malave, PhD, Aileen Donato, Ellen Emmerich,
and (top row) April Simanoff at the 2008 Night of Hope.
It was only through my volunteer service to the infertility community that I found the strength to finish mine. In other words, I received more than I gave, found out what is most important to me, and gained an appreciation for those who selflessly give of themselves to make a positive difference. Indeed, it was that volunteer service which set me on the path to many, many great experiences, changed my life for the better, and helped me realize that I want to make a difference in someone else’s life every day.

To all those who volunteer – happy National Volunteer Week and thank you for making a difference in my life!


Before founding her own consulting firm, Dawn Gannon served as a respected management professional in the military, higher education, and healthcare fields for 25 years. As a Lean/Six Sigma Green Belt, Dawn’s commitment and personal mission to improve the lives of others through service to the community focuses on providing administrative and volunteer management, consumer education, public outreach, event planning, relationship-building efforts, and strategic planning. She is the author of the Management in Motion blog, and has written a number of articles for RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association on the topic of childfree living.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are Welcome!